Westside High School Athletics
Cheer Tryout Information
For all parents and student athletes from rising 9th graders to 12 grade, need to carefully read the information below regarding how tryouts will be conducted this year and how we plan on dealing with the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Meet our Coaching Staff!
Hello student athletes! My name is Lindsey Hughes and I will be your Varsity Cheerleading Coach this year alongside my sister, Ashley Hughes Coaching Junior Varsity Cheerleading. We are super excited to work with you all this year and see the awesome talent we will have to represent the face of Westside Athletics. We have very high expectations and big plans for the future of Westside Cheerleading! Ashley and I have a passion for this sport. We have 12 years of experience with cheerleading from elementary school to college. Joining us, we are happy to announce our Cheerleading Assistant Coach, Jimmy-Ann Mayfield! She also has 12 years of experience with cheerleading from elementary school to college, including cheering at Westside High School! Karli Parker will be our competition Coach this year as well. She worked with the first ever Competitive Rams Squad last year, and has 6 years of coaching experience. We would love to answer more questions and tell you more about ourselves when we meet on our Zoom Call later this week!
Tryout Sign up Requirements:
In order to sign up for tryouts, you will need to complete the Google Forms attached below. This will also be available on our Google Classroom page to access. The code to join our Westside Cheer Google Classroom is: iptkcto
*Rising 9th and 10th graders will complete the JV Google Form. Rising 11th and 12th graders will complete the Varsity Google Form.*
The Google Form must be complete by May 11th and will be CLOSED by the end of the day.
Google Form for Varsity Cheerleaders:
Google Form for JV Cheerleaders:
Tryouts will be conducted differently this year, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. A video will be sent out to students desiring to try out. The video will include a dance and cheer. Students interested in trying out will learn the material and practice the skills in advance to the tryout day. We will be conducting a one day tryout once restrictions are lifted. Tryouts will consist of tumbling, two (2) jumps (a toe-touch and an alternate jump), a cheer, and dance. You must come to the tryouts prepared and have learned both the dance and cheer prior to trying out.
Requirements PRIOR to tryouts:
- Google forms must be completed and turned in by the designated date (May 11th).
- Hair should be pulled out of the candidate’s face.
- Absolutely NO jewelry or body piercing should be worn for tryouts.
- TRYOUT DAY: dark cheerleading shorts, plain white or black t-shirt or tank top, sneakers or cheerleading shoes.
- No baggy clothes, midriffs, low cut tops, jeans, sandals, etc.
- Each candidate will receive a number to be identified by during the final tryout. It should be displayed clearly on their shirt.
- Tryouts are closed to the public – no friends or family members.
- Videotaped tryouts will not be accepted, nor is it permissible to videotape instruction during the clinic.
- Candidates are expected to be on time. While there will be a brief warm-up and group stretch, it is recommended that all candidates stretch beforehand.
- Candidates are encouraged to notify the coach of any injury that takes place during the tryout process. This will not count against them in any way. Safety and injury prevention are a number one priority.
- Tryouts will consist of tumbling, two (2) jumps (a toe-touch and an alternate jump), a cheer, and a short dance routine.
- Candidates will tryout in randomly chosen groups of four (4) before the panel of judges. Candidates will by no means be compared to or judged by the skills of the other group members. Mistakes made by a candidate’s group members will in no way affect their score. All scores are judged on an individual basis.
- Candidates will perform the dance and cheer as a group and will perform the other skills individually.
- At times, judges may ask candidates to repeat a skill or a part of the dance again. These requests are made in order to view a skill that may have been missed earlier in the tryout or routine. It does not indicate that a candidate’s skills/routine was performed poorly.
- Candidates are encouraged to be respectful and friendly to each other. Disrespectful behavior and idle gossip will not be tolerated at clinics and/or tryouts.
- All cheerleaders must tryout every year and are not guaranteed a spot on the team.
*Once Restrictions are lifted, we will provide the Cheer Application and Recommendation Forms for you*
Cheerleaders will be judged on: (100 total points possible)
- Tumbling (extra 5 points)
- Jumps (10 points)
Placement, strength/energy of movements
- Cheer (20 points)
Placement, precision, strength/energy of movements, vocals, spirit
- Dance (20 points)
Placement, precision, strength/energy of movements, showmanship, stage presence
- Attitude as seen throughout audition process (15 points)
Motivation, work ethic, teamwork, energy, and confidence
- Application/Recommendations (10 points)
- GPA x 2.5 (possible 10 points) Cheerleaders must have a cumulative 2.0 to tryout.
- Voice Projection (10 points)
- Each set of judges scores are added together individually. The scores are then averaged, along with the teacher recommendation scores, to establish the total and final score.
- Cheerleaders will be notified of their status on the team. A list of team members (reported by tryout numbers) will be posted on Westside High School’s Website for both JV and Varsity.
- All decisions by the judges are final.
Q & A ZOOM CALL: Will be Friday May 1, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
The new coaching staff wants to have the opportunity to properly introduce ourselves! We want to use this zoom call to meet some new faces and get to know each other. The goal is to state this upcoming year’s expectations and answer any questions you may have regarding tryouts.
To join the Zoom Call:
The personal meeting id is: 913-048-8771
The password prior to joining is: 0WLWU0
Thank you all for your cooperation! We are so excited to meet you and Coach you this season! GO RAMS!